What is Bulletproof Coffee?
Coffee is a powerful health food. Fat and coffee are the two most controversial foods but evidence is mounting that coffee and certain fats are not only good for your brain in the short-term (making you sharper and helping to balance your hormones), but also in the long-term, helping to protect against disease and curb inflammation.
The Keto diet (Lifestyle) has brought attention to bulletproof coffee. Bulletproof coffee is a highly energized drink that helps an individual boost their energy. Many people drink it on a daily basis. The benefits from it are amazing.
You don’t have to like coffee
You don’t have to use coffee to get the boundless energy and focus of butter and MCT oil. In fact, you can make just about any hot beverage into a creamy, frothy version of itself by adding butter and Brain Octane (a stronger form of MCT oil) to your hot liquid in a blender. Hot chocolate, tea, and turmeric tea are just a few other options.
1 cup of freshly brewed coffee
2 tablespoons of MCT Oil – Medium Chain Triglyceride
2 tablespoon of grass-fed butter – unsalted
Mix it all in a blender for 20-30 seconds until it looks like a foamy latte. (We don’t use a blender for our coffee and it is just as creamy.)
Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee
Bulletproof coffee can replace a meal. Many people have replaced their morning breakfast with a cup of bulletproof coffee. When you start your day with a cup of bulletproof coffee, it gets your body burning fats as a source of energy rather than burning sugar, which is what the ketogenic diet is based on.
For someone who is on Keto and doing intermittent fasting, this is a great addition to your diet. Just coffee alone while fasting is the best way to go.
Bulletproof coffee is loaded with healthy fats. Grass fed butter and MCT oil are both very high in omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids. These two acids are loaded with benefits.
Bulletproof coffee boosts your energy. Much like regular coffee, bulletproof coffee contains caffeine which gives you a boost of energy. Many times people load up regular coffee with sugar and cream. These are empty calories and do absolutely nothing to get you through your day plus the sugar and creamer will spike your insulin and that is exactly what you don’t want. Bulletproof coffee is loaded with nutritious calories, which keeps you going strong all day.
Bulletproof coffee tastes awesome with no need for sugar. Many people are unable to drink black coffee every day. When someone adds cream and sugar to their coffee that puts it up over 100 calories, depending on how much cream and sugar you add. However, it still comes back to that insulin spike that wrecks the benefits that coffee can provide.
Bulletproof coffee contains no sugar unless you add some but does contain natural fats making it perfect for someone on Keto. The fat turns into energy to help you thrive when in ketosis (state of fat burning).
Drinking Bulletproof Coffee instead of eating breakfast
Starting your day with a carb/sugar based breakfast such as cereal, granola, oatmeal, toast, fruit, or any other carb heavy breakfast staple spikes your blood sugar. You’ll get a quick burst of energy, but by mid-morning your blood sugar will crash, and you’ll be hungry, tired, and unfocused.
Starting your day with Bulletproof Coffee, on the other hand, gives you three things:
- Suppressed hunger. The combination of MCT oil and grass fed butter will balance your hunger keeping you full.
- Steady lasting energy. The saturated fat in grass fed butter slows the absorption of caffeine, which gives you even energy for several hours instead of a caffeine spike and crash. Here’s the best part, NO JITTERS.
- Mental clarity.MCT oil rapidly converts to ketones, a type of molecule that your brain uses more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Pair ketones with the slowly releasing caffeine and you can literally feel your brain turning on.
Start your day with fat for fuel instead of carbs and sugar. You’ll be sharp and alert straight through until lunch.
The Science behind the benefits of coffee, butter and MCT oil:
Coffee Beans or Fresh Ground Coffee
Coffee doesn’t just taste good, it is packed with essential nutrients your body needs daily like B vitamins, potassium and magnesium. Coffee has loads of antioxidants, which reduce your risk of chronic degenerative diseases and keeps your brain sharp.
Grass fed butter adds high quality fats and nutrients
Healthy fat will sustain your energy for hours, balance hormones, and boost cognitive function. With butter, you’re not only getting essential fatty acids, it helps make the creamiest cup of coffee you’ll ever have.
The kind of butter you add to your Bulletproof Coffee is important! Grass fed cows are healthier than factory farmed or grain fed cows, and the butter they produce reflects their good health. There are two brands we prefer Kerrygold and Plugra.
- Grass fed butter is higher in essential nutrients.Your body craves good fats for hormone balance and brain health. A good quality, grass fed butter also contains omega-3 fatty acids, beta-carotene, vitamins A, D, E, and K, CLA (a fatty acid with powerful fat-loss benefits), and antioxidants.
- Grass fed butter is good for your brain and your digestion. It is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid that can both prevent and decrease inflammation. We have noticed the change in swelling of my legs, abdomen and face when I am not following Keto with bulletproof coffee.
MCT Oil provides clean energy with no crash
MCT oil is a key ingredient in Bulletproof Coffee. It is important because it raises fat burning, brain fueling molecules in your body called ketones.
- MCT is derived from 100% pure coconut oil. It is then triple distilled through earthen clay, so there are no solvent residues.
- MCT is flavorless, odorless and colorless.
Fat doesn’t make you fat
It has all been a myth and turns out that science does not support low-fat claims. After 60 years of low-fat propaganda, that has been so ingrained in us, that many people still fear fat even though study after study shows that fat is harmless. In fact, eating more fat is the single most powerful way to hack your cravings, turn on your brain, lose weight, and balance your hormones. Fat isn’t just good for you; it’s essential. It is all about taking in the right kind of fat – animal fats such as healthy red meats and bacon plus natural fats from nuts.
- Fat won’t mess with your blood sugar levels like sugar or carbohydrates. It’s actually too many carbohydrates that lead to unbalanced blood sugar and fluctuating hormones, which ultimately leads to fat storage.
- Fat slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which keeps blood sugar levels under control. Balanced blood sugar is the key to lowering stress hormones and inflammation.
- Fat makes you feel fuller longer. Try upping the healthy fats in your diet. You’ll actually eat less.
- Quality fats often contain fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Our Personal Testimony
We changed our lives April 2018 to a Keto Lifestyle beginning with bulletproof coffee. Since then, we have reached benefits we never imagined just from changing our coffee and lifestyle. Sarge weighed in at almost 300 lbs., was pre-diabetic, had a fatty liver, had high blood pressure, suffered from fatigue, snored like a freight train and lost most of his intimate drive. I weighed in over 200 lbs., had high blood pressure, could sleep for a week if allowed, told I snored like an earthquake and lost my drive as well.
Although our coffee is not the traditional bulletproof coffee, we have been successful in changing our health. We have lost weight and inflammation so fast, our wardrobe could not keep up. We are learning how best to control our weight-loss without having to rush out to buy new clothes every few weeks.